The historic Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado has opened a public competition for the public to design a 10,100 SF hedge maze to be installed in the property’s front lawn. The contest is open to both amateur and professional designers, and the theme is Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 film “The Shining”.
The Stanley Hotel draws hundreds of thousands of visitors to their property each year, and this is an opportunity for one lucky designer to have their name and creation immortalized on a placard installed in the maze for all to see.
“There are few hotels in the world that share a history and story as unique as that of the Stanley Hotel,” said John W. Cullen, owner of the property. “I am thrilled to share this special moment in my life and the hotel’s history. We have built this place together over the years and I’m excited to invite everyone to be a part of its legacy through this special design contest.”
As many of you already know, the film “The Shining” was inspired by author Stephen King’s own personal visit and ghostly experiences at the hotel. The ribbon cutting for the maze will coincide with the opening night of the 3rd Annual Stanley Film Festival on Thursday, April 30th.
The winning design will be chosen by film festival staff, Stanley Hotel representatives, and a select panel of Estes Park residents.
• Designs are restricted to the use of hedge and path only.
• We request one design per entrant.
• Group projects are accepted, please include names of all group members with submission.
• The maze should begin and end at the points indicated by arrows in the template.
• The maze should be drawn inside the orange space in the center of the template. The maze will cover an area of 10,100 sq. ft. for the front lawn.( view the Maze example link below for reference)
• The size of the hedge and width of the path should be equal to those shown in the key of the template.
• Designs should be layered over the template provided.
• Designs should submitted by midnight on 1/31/15.
• All files should be submitted in PDF or EPS format via the email address
• All submissions email should include full name, street and email addresses and phone number of the contestant.
Download the template
For more question on the contest please contact
History and Architecture Manager